Tlingit-Haida Regional Housing Authority’s Low Rent Program is a home and apartment rental program. Homes and apartments in this program consist of 1 to 4 bedroom homes of various sizes and layouts. The rent charge for our Low Rent units is currently based on 30 percent of the monthly household income. For example, if the total gross (before taxes and deductions) monthly income is $2,500, the resulting rent charge would be $750 per month. In some cases a minimum rent charge must be met in order to be eligible. For example, if the minimum rent charge is $800, but 30 percent of the household income only generates a calculated rent charge of $750, the family would be considered ineligible. At a minimum, to be eligible for this program at least one household member must be able to provide proof that they belong to a federally recognized tribe. Other program rules and requirements may apply. For more information about a specific community or rental, or if you would like to apply for a rental unit, please contact us. The Low Rent Program is currently offered in the following communities: Angoon, Craig, Haines, Hoonah, Juneau, Kasaan, Klukwan, Saxman, and Wrangell
- 1, 2, 3, and 4 bedroom rental units of various sizes and layouts
- Rent charge is based on 30% of the total household monthly income to keep the unit affordable
- All units are non-smoking
- Deposit is only $500, which is less than what most other landlords require.
- Pets are allowed in a single family or duplex rental, but subject to a $750 pet deposit Tenants living in a tri-plex, four-plex, or greater are not eligible to have pets. Other restrictions do apply
- Rent is due by the 1st of the month, but landlord gives a 15 day grace period
- Rent can be paid by cash, check, and money order. We also accept all major credit cards
- Tenants may also elect to have their rent payments automatically charged to their credit cards on a day of their choice by signing up for the recurring credit card program
- Tenants may also elect to have rent payments automatically deducted from a checking or savings account on the 1st or the 10th of each month by signing up for the direct debit program
Details & Requirement
- $500 security deposit
- Rent charge: 30% of household monthly income
- All tenants must pass a background and credit reference check. If an individual or a member of his/her household exhibits a pattern of disruptive alcohol related behavior or has engaged in any other criminal activity that would threaten the safety, welfare, or peaceful enjoyment of the premises for other residents may not be eligible
- Applicants that currently owe Tlingit-Haida Regional Housing Authority or another public housing agency for previous rental debt are not eligible to apply until the past due debt has been satisfied
- Any person or member of his/her household who is currently, or has ever been required to register, or is pending registration as a sex offender on the State of Alaska Sexual Offender list or for any other state is not eligible to reside in our units
- Any applicant or member of his/her household that has been convicted of methamphetamine production is not eligible to reside in our units
- Any applicant or member of his/her household that currently engages in the illegal use of drugs is not eligible to reside in our units
- Any applicant or member of his/her household shall not be eligible for any Tlingit-Haida Regional Housing Authority program for a minimum period of seven (7) years following a conviction for a violent or drug-related felony and for a period of three (3) years following an eviction from any assisted or public housing for drug-related criminal activities.
You can call us with questions at (888) 241-6868 or in Juneau, (907) 780-6868.
Fax completed applications toll free to (866) 902-3286
For more information about current vacancies and applications, please click here.