One of our most innovative ideas for helping families with housing was to take the lead role in Indian Housing’s use of tax credits or Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program. The LIHTC Program, which is based on Section 42 of the Internal Revenue Code, was enacted by Congress in 1986 to provide the private market with an incentive to invest in affordable rental housing, THRHA did just that! By working with investors and partners alike, we were able to develop Tax Credit funded housing in the communities of Yakutat, Juneau and Ketchikan. Built by THRHA using the most state of the art construction techniques including techniques derived from our partnership with the University of Alaska Fairbanks in Cold Climate Research studies, LIHTC homes are 5 star energy rated modern construction and are typically made as 2 or 3 bedroom single family units, duplex and 4plex styles. THRHA sees the viability of Tax Credit Housing and continues to pursue partnerships for future development.
- Apartment based units including 4-Plex and mutli unit structures.
- Unfurnished but do include kitchen appliances and bathroom facilities.
- Washer and dryer are not included within these unit however Sunrise Apartments does include a coin operated laundromat
- Electric/Cable TV/Telephone outlets available and hardwired smoke detectors
- Units have widened doorways and hallways to accomodate wheelchair access but some units are especially designed for handicap/impaired.
- Available Parking up to two vehicles per family as well as general visitor parking
- All units are non-smoking. All facilities are non-smoking.
- FREE access to Financial Literacy Training
- FREE access to Home Maintenance Education Training
- FREE access to Energy Efficiency in the Home Training
- All applicants are screened for background. No sex offenders and violent crime offenders are allowed.
A foundation for family success…THRHA’s Tax Credit Rental Program is only available in the communities Ketchikan’s Carlanna Subdivision (Shaa Tlein) and Yakutat (Sunrise Apartments). Juneau has rent-to-own developments only. Monthly rent is determined by several factors including family composition, income as well as the number of individual bedrooms required. There is a list of preference points that also help to contribute needs determination and placement of applicants into our rentals. The final determination is based on the annually revised HUD median family income tables but otherwise is available to all residents of Southeast Alaska.
- Living in the community (Southeast Alaska)
- Handicap or Disabililty
- Displacement (e.g. Natural Disaster, Domestic Violence, Family Reunification)
- Homelessness or Substandard Housing
- Terminal Illness
- Working Family, Disabled & Elderly
- U.S. Military Veteran
To Qualify, You Must
- Be a current resident of Southeast Alaska, you will be asked to provide photo ID to support this.
- Provide proof that your household income is less than 60 percent of the median income for your community.
- Apply early! This program is administered on a first come, first serve basis.
- (Note: In cases where applicants are seeking the rent-to-own units but are instead placed in rental units within the Tax Credit Program do not lose preference points or eligibility for a rent-to-own unit so long as they comply with program guidelines and maintain rent payments.)
- Download Dividend Assignment of Rights Document (PDF)
- Download Preference Determination Policy (PDF)
Locations of LIHTC Rental Housing
Sunrise Apartments(Rentals only)
100 Yakutat Road.
Yakutat, AK. 99689
Shaa Tlein (Rentals & Rent-to-own)
3290 Fairview Avenue
Ketchikan, AK. 99901