Nestled at the base of towering Mt. Juneau, Fireweed Place exemplifies the excellence of retirement living. Location is one of its jewels as it pits you in walking distance of conveniences like shopping, government offices, and public transportation while offering a quick escape to the amenities like Marine Park, exquisite Juneau restaurants and majestic cruise ships. Surrounded by beautiful trees and aromatic flora, you can easily lose yourself to nature in the terrace and patio areas.
Housing Designed by Seniors for Seniors
Owned and operated by Tlingit-Haida Regional Housing Authority, Fireweed Place is a 67-unit apartment building built specifically for senior citizens 60 years of age or older, are non-smokers and who can live independently or without a care provider and who qualify for occupancy. Fireweed Place is not assisted living. It is the first such type of building in to be built in Southeast Alaska exclusively for the residency of Senior Citizens and we are extremely proud of it. Social functions are available and held at the request and planning of residents themselves and there are potlucks, bridge groups and other meetings that all residents can participate in. Meal service is available through Meals on Wheels for those that qualify.
Fireweed Place has been open since August of 1995. There are efficiency, one and two bedroom apartments to choose from. All apartments are unfurnished and while we are not completely handicap accessible, we do have many handicap amenities such as wider doors and hallways for wheel chairs, grab bars, raised toilets and showers and full spectrum lighting. All showers are equipped with a seat and all bathrooms are accessible by wheel chair and all bathroom vanities allow for wheel chairs to slide under. The main corridors on each floor are lighted and we also have sitting room/library rooms on each floor for everyone to use.
Fireweed Place is located downtown in Juneau, Alaska close to shopping, bus lines and government offices. The residents who live here have moved from the lower 48 states to be with family, moved from outlining communities to be closer to medical facilities and many have sold their homes and moved here to enjoy not having to deal with the demands of owning a home. They have found that it is a comfortable building to live in with easy access to Juneau businesses, family and medical needs. Fireweed Place does accept Section 8 Vouchers. If you feel that you may be in need of housing assistance, we encourage you to speak with our staff. Staff is more than willing to provide you with information, answers to your questions and guide you to the proper authorities to accomplish your goals. We are extremely proud to have Fireweed Place as a senior housing complex.
Details & Requirements
- Be 60 years of age or older.
- Be a non-smoker.
- Be capable of living independently with or without a care provider.
- Range Oven with self-cleaning features/Full size “no-frost” refridgerator/dishwasher
- Light Oak-finished cabinets
- Fully carpeted except for Kitchen and Bathroom and blinds on all the windows
- Electric/Cable TV/Telephone outlets in every room
- Individual room temperature control – electric heat
- Individual Apartment hot water heater
- Washer and Dryer hookup or coin-operated laundry rooms on every floor
- Safety rails on walls of bathroom/Handicapped toilet access
- Shower stall with comfortable folding seat, and porcelain sink and large counter area
- Security entry system and 24 hour security camera surveillance
- Fireweed Place is a fully sprinklered and monitored by electronic smoke detectors
- Full service elevator and limited covered parking
- Dining room for private parties and social functions
- Individual mail boxes in the lobby
- Rent includes water, sewer, trash, and snow removal
- Library/Sitting rooms, and limited exercise room
- Brightly lit and fully carpeted hallways ideal for walking when the weather is inclement
- Professional and courteous staff
- Large patio with beautiful landscaped garden
- On city bus line & walking distance to shops, restaurants, post office
- Care-A-Van Services available upon request
For additional Information, please contact us at
415 Willoughby Ave.
Juneau, AK. 99801