The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally funded program that helps low income households with their home energy bills. The Federal LIHEAP Program serves households with income that fall into the 150% Alaska Poverty level.
The LIHEAP Program provides a one-time benefit to eligible households to assist with home energy heating costs. The amount of the benefit is determined by household income, household size, fuel type, and geographic location.
To Qualify, You Must
- Complete the LIHEAP application.
- Meet income guidelines.
- Assistance may apply to heating or electric bill.
- Depending on which community, non-Native applicants must apply directly through the state of Alaska. (See list below.)
Both Native and Non-Native Households
Angoon, Craig, Hoonah, Hydaburg, Kake, Klawock, Klukwan
Native households only
Douglas, Haines, Juneau, Kasaan, Ketchikan, Pelican, Petersburg, Saxman, Skagway, Tenakee, Wrangell
When can I apply?
Applications for Heating Assistance are accepted November 1 through May 15th of each year. If you are legally disabled or age 60 or older, we will accept your application November 1st. All other applications will begin processing on December 1st.
How do I know if I will receive Heating Assistance from a tribal organization?
For a list of communities served by tribal organizations go to the State HAP Website HERE or contact your local tribal organization or the Heating Assistance office. It can delay your benefits if you apply with the wrong organization.
Tribal organizations providing Heating Assistance are:
- Aleutian/Pribilof Islands Association – 276-2700
- Association of Village Council Presidents – 543-3521
- Kenaitze Indian Tribe I.R.A. – 283-3633
- Kuskokwim Native Association – 675-4384
- Orutsaramuit Native Council – 543-2608
- Seldovia Indian Tribe – 234-7898
- Tanana Chiefs Conference – 452-8251
- Tlingit – Haida Regional Housing Authority – 780-6868
- Yakutat Tlingit Tribe – 784-3238 ext 235
Applications for Heating Assistance are accepted December 1st through May 15th of each year. If you are legally disabled or age 60
or older, we will accept your application as early as November 1st. All other applications will begin processing on December 1st. APPLY HERE: https://thrha.force.com/members